welcome to our book reviews and news page

recent publications and classic reads revisited
covering a wide range of genre, taste and style
please join in the discussion


Wednesday 5 March 2008

So Many Ways To Begin


by Jon McGregor

I hadn’t come across this author until now. He was born in 1976, and this is his second novel. The first looks more experimental, and I haven’t yet read it - but this one I found both compulsively readable and beautifully crafted. It chronicles the life of David Carter, a convincingly imperfect, but very appealing character who feels to the reader quite tangibly real, as does his wife Eleanor. He has one particular obsessive pursuit through most of his life, but I won’t spoil the book by saying exactly what it is. It seems connected, though, with his work as a museum curator, and his early interest in artefacts of the past which leads him to that occupation. The chapters are each headed with one such item, a relic of the period of his or his family’s lives that are being described.

What struck me about this book was the way that the author, on the one hand, describes the minutiae of the character’s lives with a close-up realism which makes you feel you can touch them - but on the other maintains a perspective of distance and a view of the progression of time which enables the reader to see them as if from high above. This is done partly by making carefully judged switches in time period during the narration, which I found made the development of the book all the more compelling. These jumps seem to complement the characters’ own memories, and their judgements on their own past, and uncertainties about their future. An absorbing book which I recommend highly.

reviewed by Christopher Bazalgette

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I'm looking forward to reading this soon, as I really enjoyed Jon McGregor's first novel 'If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things'.

Anne Brooke said...

You're right - all his books are utterly, utterly wonderful and so very humane. I think he's a genius and everyone should read him!

:))

A
xxx

Annie said...

I really like the sound of this author - which book would you suggest I start with?
Annie
xxxx

Cathy said...

'If Nobody Speaks...' is shorter I think!