welcome to our book reviews and news page

recent publications and classic reads revisited
covering a wide range of genre, taste and style
please join in the discussion


Monday 1 November 2010

The Silver Locket



by Margaret James

'The Silver Locket' is set around the time of the Great War. Rose Courtenay is a well brought up young lady, who’s been raised to keep her mother and suitable acquaintances company until she marries the man her parents have chosen for her, whether she is in love with him or not.

She meets Alex Durham, a man of questionable parentage, who lives nearby with his uncle in a dilapidated house, and when Alex drunkenly asks Rose to dance, she rebuffs him despite feeling a disturbing spark for him and continues to talk with her proposed fiancé. Her parents encourage her to accept Michael’s marriage proposal, but although he’s handsome and charming, she suspects it’s not her that Michael is really in love with. Then, when Rose discovers that Alex is to be married, she reacts in a way her upbringing and family cannot understand and find hard to accept.

Rose volunteers as a nurse in London and although she’s not very good, she perseveres and joins the VADs with a friend. Alex, is in the infantry and spending the war fighting in the mud-strewn trenches. He’s injured and ends up being sent to the hospital where Rose is nursing. Despite her initial misgivings, she ends up caring for him, as his scars begin to heal and he slowly gets better. The two become close, and although she knows he’s a married man, Rose can’t help wanting to make the most of what little snatched time she is able to enjoy with Alex.

However, these are troubled times, and when her friend’s sister asks for her help, Rose makes a choice that will embroil her in an incident that will change her relationship with her family, and ultimately the course of her life. With so much stacked against them, how can they ever have a hope of a future together? Especially when an old adversary is so intent on stopping Alex from being with the woman he loves.

I loved this book and although I’ve researched this era fairly well, I still learnt so much and couldn’t help being drawn into Alex and Rose’s struggle to be together for however short a time. She is a gutsy heroine, who despite everything she’s been brought up to believe, finds she has more strength than she could ever have imagined, and Alex, handsome, deep and battling his own demons, has to face many obstacles in his path.

I can’t recommend this book enough. Whether you usually read historical novels, or not, this is a romance that will keep you reading page after page.

Reviewed by Debs Carr

7 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

To be in with a chance of winning a signed copy of this book, please leave a 'pick me' comment here.

Pauline Barclay said...

I would love you to pick me, but I would also understand if you did not as I now live on Lanzarote in the Canary Isles. But I do have my fingers crossed. Also I would like to wish Margaret James great success with her novel.

RachTroy said...

pick me please, after reading the review I am now wanting to read and find out more! Thanks for the review Debs, brilliant and I have taken your advice in the past and loved all the books you have recommended! My collection of novels is growing!

Fee Roberts said...

I NEED to read this book!!!! Debs you capture the readers in and then we want more! Please pick me - the bookworm...

Sabine said...

I am intrigued by your excellent review, Debs, and would love to know the whole story. It sounds just the right remedy to whisk me away from the more mundane things in life...

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Thanks so much to everyone who entered and for Helen for letting me link to this book giveaway.

The winner is Fee and it's through your comment at this blog that you won. Congratulations, it's a great book.

Karen said...

Great review - I love books set in the war and will be adding this to my reading pile :o)